Jessica and Justin

My photo
Van, TX, United States
I am a farmer and a doula. My husband and I are recently planted into the soil of East Texas. Together we seek, we learn, we dance, we sing, and we grow vegetables, and I attend births. This blog is the ongoing story of our farming and birthing journey.

Monday, March 28, 2011

snow days

It's been really cold up here!  Just as soon as all our snow had nearly melted away, a series of storms blew across us. Last week it snowed Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.  We've had a break from the snow for now, but not from subfreezing daytime temperatures.  And more snow is supposed to arrive midweek.
Since we couldn't continue work on the greenhouse last week, I spent a lot of time in the kitchen!

the mess of a chicken pot pie.
Unbaked but pretty.  I won't include the baked photo, the wavy crust fell in on one side.  but let me tell you, this was truly the BEST meal I have ever made myself.  really. amazing. I will give you the recipe.

It was muffins on monday, cinnamon raisin bread on Wednesday, and the three big loaves on Friday.  Gluten, YUM!!

I know I wont have a lot of time for baking after the weather warms up so I'm just throwing it all in the freezer for later.


We visited the Methodist church the past two weeks. It's about 200 yards from our front door so we just bundle up and walk over. Most of the members are older and most of them have lived here all their lives, as have their parents and grandparents.  No Sunday school at this church, so none of the families with children come to it, which means none of the 20-30somethings go to this one either.  They all go down the road about 8 miles to the other Methodist church which has a sunday school.  They share a pastor and so this church meets at 9 and the other at 10:30. I really like that. Oh! It's a female pastor. which I also like. We've been going early for the coffee hour to get to know the folks there. It's so good to chat with our new neighbors and get to know them a little bit! It's really helping to make me feel less isolated up here.

Speaking of less isolated, TJ McLemore is coming on Wednesday! He's an friend from Waco who now lives in Boston while completing a poetry/creative writing program at Boston University. He'll be here hanging out with us, working with us, scouting out the local dives and restaurants with us and snowshoeing around the property with us for a few days. I am so glad to have him.

Our first seeds have sprouted so I'll take some pictures soon. Just onions and romaine. Thursday and Friday with TJ we'll be seeding broccoli, cabbage, chard, pak choi, parsley, and more lettuce and hopefully it will all go straight into the greenhouse!! I think we just need two more fairly windless days to get it finished.  We're able to work on it in the cold, just not if it's breezey. Trying to tack up the expensive plastic in the wind can be a pricey disaster.


Well, there's another post for ya!

4 comments:

  1. Jess your breads look incredible! Julie needs to see what she's got in you. You're amazing in the kitchen, honey. Oh - made the CPP recipe - sooo good. Have fun with TJ! The little country church of older folk sounds great. I want one :). Love to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jessica!!
    Oh, my goodness, I am so impressed with your breads - they look amazing and cinnamon raisin bread is my absolute favorite:)
    Your chicken pot pie looks pretty, even unbaked. There's not much better than a really good c.p.p. I'm so impressed with how you've turned out to be such an amazing "grown-up":)

    I look forward to hearing more about your life on the farm. And, as far as the snow goes, enjoy it's beauty. I know it can be a pain, but it can also be so beautiful, gentle, quiet.

    If you'd like to keep up with my blog I would love for you to visit - www.polkadotbarn.blogspot.com

    i love you, honey.
    "hi" to justin!
    aunt jan

    uncle frank turned 70 today! how about that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad Janice shared your blog with me...wow! Can't wait to see the whole farm when it's not covered with snow and getting to see all your crops, animals, etc. Also, very impressed with your baking skills...I know that chicken pot pie isn't on my diet but I'd definitely break my diet with that dish prepared by you sitting in front of me! PTL for the opportunity to meet your neighbors through the local church... I know how important that is to ya'll! We'll look forward to visiting you at this site periodically and praying for you frequently! Lots of love to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what-up ninja?
    i want to see more pics of the home and property. i'm not a bog follower so email me some pics- selfish, yes... but i'm okay with that.
    The guy helpin me is from utah and lived at the base of a mountain, has some cool stories about what they did for fun in the freezeing winter's, very foreign to us southerns...
    what, Frank the tank if 70!

    Looks like good food and relaxing times, do some xfit during the winter and bad weather days so you'll be ready to bust it come good weather days. Love you guys, peace!

    ReplyDelete