Jessica and Justin

My photo
Van, TX, United States
I am a farmer and a doula. My husband and I are recently planted into the soil of East Texas. Together we seek, we learn, we dance, we sing, and we grow vegetables, and I attend births. This blog is the ongoing story of our farming and birthing journey.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie recipe

I love to cook and I tried an AWEsome recipe last month. some of you asked me for it and I'm finally posting it for those of you who are interested. Just to give credit where it's due, this all started as a Paula Deen And Sons recipe that I found online but I only used the recipe as a guide. So of course with Paula's help this dish was AMAZING. I'm talkin, "the best dish I've ever eaten that I made myself" kinda good. If you like pie and comfort food and if you like chicken pot pie, try it.

here's MY new chicken pot pie recipe:

  • A triple recipe of the Hancock-Studinka pie crust, made ahead of time and in the fridge waiting to be rolled out. I'll tell you how to make it like my momma and how I have changed it for my own preferences. (instructions follow)
  • 2 cups leftover cooked chicken (I actually made it the first time with 1 lb of ground turkey cause it was all I had. I browned it in the skillet with 1 tsp of poultry seasoning-natural ingredients only. Also, I have now made the pie with a pasture raised chicken. It is great both ways. I was able to save a lot of the meat from the pastured chicken for other dishes!)
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 quart whole milk
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock (you can use water if you need to, it's only 1/2 cup)
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
  • 1/2 small yellow onion, minced
  • 1 cup frozen green peas
  • 2 medium carrots chopped really small
  • 1 large or 2 small potatoes chopped pretty small
  • small pinch nutmeg. if you have whole nutmeg and can grate it fresh- do it! it's so good

 
1. First cook your chicken however you like (I roasted it in the oven) and then cube it. You'll need at least 2 cups
2. While the chicken is roasting or whenever make your triple pie crust recipe
  • 2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 cups crisco (or 3 sticks of butter, set out of the fridge to soften a little bit, but you still want it cold, NOT room temp.)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 6-8 oz. of ICE COLD water
**Note: If you want to make it my momma's way, then use only all purpose flour and use crisco. It will be an amazing crust, but a little worse for you than my adaptations. If you choose the whole wheat and butter version it is still so so good, BUT the crust starts to get soggy faster so just make sure you eat the whole pie on day 1 or 2, not on day 3.

 
combine your flours and salt in a bowl,
cut up the butter into cubes and add to bowl
using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour until you have pea sized pieces, scraping the clumps from the cutter with a knife as needed.
add the ice cold water a little at a time cutting it in to the flour until it begins sticking together. Only use as much water as is absolutely necessary. Once you've added 6oz of water it should really clump to the cutter, just keep scraping it off with a knife and keep going just until it all sticks together well. To avoid using too much water, press it together with your hands if need be to get it to all come together into a ball. but do NOT knead it, that will activate the gluten in the flour and it will make a tough crust and will make it difficult to roll out.
divide the dough in half and cover it tightly in plastic wrap. refrigerate until ready to roll it out.

3. make your sauce
Use a large saucepan. melt butter and then add flour, stirring until consistency of peanut butter, but not cooked brown like a roux. Add milk little by little and keep stirring. Add chicken stock, garlic, and onion and stir until thickened. Next add the peas, carrots, potatoes, nutmeg, and chicken. Keep the heat on really low and cover to begin softening the veggies while you proceed to the crust:

4. roll out one half of the pie crust on lightly floured wax paper. it needs to fit a 9x13. carefully flip the crust into the 9x13 and straighten it out. Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork several times so your crust does not shrink or balloon up during baking

5. roll out the other half of the crust before filling the pie.

6. dump in your filling to fill the 9x13 about 75-80% full. Don't fill it too full or else you'll bubble over in the oven and have a mess (like I do now). any excess filling can be frozen :)

7. cover with the second pie crust and trim edges, pressing the edges of the 2 layers together. crease with your fingers to make a scalloped edge if you like. looks nice.

8. Now cut some some large slits or holes, getting as creative you like, but make sure that the gaps are large to allow steam to escape.

9. bake at 350 for 60-75 minutes cover with foil if it's starting to brown.

 

 
There might be enough filling to make 2 -9x9s, or 2-10in. pie plates. Just adjust the pie crust. We used a triple recipe for the 9x13, but you'd need a double recipe for each 9x9 or 10" pie plate

  
Please let me know if you decided to try it, I would be so interested to know!
I hope you like it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment